Paleo Breakfast Shakshouka
Recipe by Gwyneth Paltrow, as featured in My Mark
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion (diced)
- 6 cloves. Garlic (minced)
- 3 1/2 Cup Diced San Marzano Tomatoes (canned)
- 1 Tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Harissa
- 1/2 Cup Italian Parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper (fresh ground)
- 6 ea. Eggs
- In a 3 qt sauce pan on medium heat add EVOO, onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add paprika, cumin, harissa, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Preheat Hearth Oven to 350 stone and 1000 dome.
- Add tomatoes and turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Sauce should be thick and somewhat chunky.
- Preheat a 12" cast iron skillet on medium for 4-5 minutes. Carefully ladle in tomato sauce so it doesn't spatter.
- Crack 1 egg at a time into a ramekin and gently pour into center of the skillet. Repeat with the remaining 5 eggs going towards the outside of the skillet. (Use a star pattern for even spacing)
- Place skillet into the Hearth Oven for 7-10 minutes or until the egg whites have set.
- Carefully remove skillet from the Hearth and place on a hot pad. Add chopped parsley and enjoy.
* Feel free to add any vegetables or meats to this recipe. Just make sure they are fully cooked before adding eggs.